Monday, February 21, 2011

My training since September, revisited



I first posted these graphs on January 23. While the trend is still in the same direction, as you can see, there's a lot of variance. When you get up to really high mileages, missing just one day can throw off your whole week, as last week demonstrates. Also, my tempo pace lately hasn't been much better than it was last October. I'd chalk that up partly to injuries, and partly to just the difficulty of running fast and running long at the same time. In fact, for the coming week, I don't have any tempo runs scheduled at all -- just three medium-long runs and three recovery runs. That said, I don't think my speed is suffering: I set a PR in the 5K just a couple weeks ago.

So while the graphs told a very simple story a month ago, now they are starting to reveal the complexity of marathon training.

No comments:

Post a Comment