Sunday, December 19, 2021

Race report: THP Winter 35k

When I thought I signed up for the THP Winter 35k in France, I thought I needed it as a qualifier for another race, which in turn I would need to qualify to run yet another race in France, the CCC by UTMB, a tough, mountainous 100k race I'm planning on doing in 2023. But that's a story for another day. As it turned out, I hadn't really signed up for the THP Winter race at all -- at least not according to the race director! But I did manage to do the race, which turned out to be even tougher than I thought it would be, even though it turned out I didn't need it to qualify for my other race, which I am, in fact, already registered to run in!

If that all sounds complicated to you, think of how I felt when I got to the front of what I was pretty sure was the right line at the start of the race, near the summit of Montange de Lure, in what was supposed to be the temperate South of France. The woman who checked runners in couldn't find my name on the list of registered entrants. She went to ask the race director, who in broken English asked if I had an email confirming my registration. I said I did, but there was no cell signal on my phone, but since I had already made my way to the top of this mountain 6,000 miles from my home, I would be happy to re-register. But of course that was also impossible, because she had no reception on her phone, so she couldn't fill in the necessary details online. In the end she decided I looked honest enough, and let me run the race with a promise to drop off 20 euros after I finished. 

By now there was just 15 minutes to the race start time, so I ran back to the car to drop off my race packet and attach my bib -- oh, did I mention they don't give you safety pins for your bib in France? You're supposed to have a race belt, which of course I hadn't brought along on this trip, so I stuffed the bib in my hydration pack and hurried to the start.

There were three events that day -- a 35k, a 20k, and a 10k. I lined up with the 35kers, who all looked much younger and fitter than me, and who all had micro spikes or yaktrax for their shoes, something I had also left back at home. Surely it wouldn't be too snowy on this race, and I had trekking poles, so I'd be fine, right?

I hastily snapped a selfie at the start line and got ready to go.

Ignore all that white stuff behind me... this will be fine

The started counted down 5,4,3,2,1 -- in English! [The only English I heard at the start], and then everyone took off. It was an uphill start, so surely everyone would take it easy, right? Nope, everyone started at a dead run.  You all know this is a 35k with 5,700 feet of climbing, right, I thought to myself. Apparently they did know, and they all knew they were fit enough to head up the 1,000 feet of climbing in the first 5 miles at a dead run. Before I knew it, I was in last place. 

Thankfully, I passed a couple women within the first half-mile. I wasn't in last! I passed another pair of runners, a man and a woman. Okay, maybe this won't be an utter disaster, I thought. But as soon as the trail leveled off and headed down a slippery descent, the man and woman zipped right by me again. Apparently, unless someone ahead of me completely fell apart, I was going to be the last male finisher in the race. By mile 2, there were no other runners in sight, and I was alone on the trail. A couple of small deer bounded in front of me, and I remembered that it was also hunting season in France. No worries, I was much too slow to be mistaken for a game animal!

For the first several miles, the trail alternated between steep ascents and steep descents, all in deep snow with tenuous footing. I'm not a great trail runner, but I'm an even worse snow runner. When I get nervous about my footing, I slow down. My descents were barely faster than my ascents. Eventually the trail worked its way up an exposed ridgeline. We would run along the ridgeline for the next several miles. 

The temperature was close to freezing, but all that climbing had warmed me up, so I stopped to remove my gloves and take a couple photos:

If you squint, you can see a runner up ahead

I'm in the mountains! In France!

In the first photo, in addition to the runner, you can see a mountain with some radar gear on the top; we'd all be climbing that mountain within a couple miles. The bigger mountains in the background are the Alps. We are technically in Haut Provence (the "HP" of THP Winter), a separate range. Haut Provence would be plenty for today!

Spurred on by the prospect of catching another runner, I dashed off down the hill, only to slip on an icy spot and land on my bare knuckles, scraping them up rather painfully. Fortunately all my digits seemed functional, so I carried on gingerly down the hill. Nora got a picture of the nasty-looking knuckles after the race.

Yikes!

I finally figured out that my only chance of catching anyone would be on the UPHILL portion of the race. Patience would be my mantra on the descents. Sure enough, after another short climb and descent, we began climbing the tallest summit of the ridge, to the Signal de Lure at 6,000 feet. There I soon made up ground on the runner ahead of me, and caught him about halfway up the final climb to the summit. At the summit, the snow was quite deep, and we had to make our way around a fenced-in military radar installation. I was worried the runner would catch me as the route got more technical, but thankfully there were some gravel spots where I could get traction on the descent from the summit, and I maintained my precarious position in fourth-from-last place. 

Surely as we descended from the ridge the snow would dissipate at lower elevations, right? Actually the opposite proved to be true; whenever we left the exposed ridge and went into the shady forests, there was even MORE snow. Every so often the trail returned to the ridge, and I stopped to get a photo of the view before we left the ridgetop for good.

These photos really make it look like there is not much snow. Trust me, there was plenty!

Here I am trying to look happy about how much snow there is

There weren't many people along the trail, but it was pretty cool to see anyone because nearly all of them clapped and shouted "Allez! Allez!" as I passed. So much nicer than the "good morning" you get when you pass hikers in the States!

Finally the trail dropped off the ridge for good, and I began to wonder if the promised aid station at 10k would really be there. I was already on Mile 8, with no aid station in sight. Down, down into the forest I descended, with the snow getting deeper and deeper. At least the 40-odd runners ahead of me had trampled the snow down a bit, but their footprints were uneven, which still made for difficult footing. 

Finally the snow seemed to dwindle, with even the occasional bare gravel stretch for 20 feet or so. But the thinner snow surface tended towards ice, so the traction was even a bit worse if there wasn't any gravel to run on. Down, down I descended, giving up all hope of an aid station, when at the 15k mark (9.3 miles) I rounded a corner and saw several cheery Frenchmen and women offering food and drink. I thought about accepting it briefly, but by this point I had figured out that I had plenty of my own food and water, and anything I took from them would only add to the load I was carrying in my pack. So I thanked them and went on without taking anything. They seemed so disappointed!

But now, at last, the trail was clear of snow. Even better, it wasn't a trail but a gravel road. Finally I could stretch out and run. I ran two solid miles in the time it had taken me to go a mile in the snow. I was actually getting hot! I decided to keep running until the trail headed back uphill, then take off my jacket and get some food. Sadly, that was only a half mile further along. I stopped and took off my jacket, then walked, eating a Lara Bar and figuring out how long my next climb was going to be. It would be 1,700 feet of vertical in about 3.2 miles.

I covered the first mile or so quickly, but then the trail got snowier and steeper, and it was difficult to walk fast. I tried to restrain myself from checking my watch every 30 seconds to see how much (or rather, how little) progress I had made up the mountain. I knew I'd be climbing nearly to the top of the ridge I had just run down.

Real-time location of Dave in this story

It never seemed like I was as far as I should be based on how tired I was. I looked up ahead but could only see trees and snow. Surely the ridgetop would come into view soon. Eventually, after seemingly hours of trudging uphill, it did come into view. I knew I would get close to the top but not quite there. Then I noticed someone hiking up the hill to my left, away from the ridgetop. Did the trail turn before it got to the ridge? And was that actually another racer? Was I finally catching someone? Amazingly, the answers were yes, yes, and yes! 

The trail did turn and I was perhaps 200 yards behind another runner. But before I could catch him, the trail leveled off and headed downhill, and, leery of my previous experience, I let him continue ahead of me (since apparently everyone in France descends in the snow better than I do). Now it was back down another precipitous, snowy trail, which once again seem to continue farther than I could imagine. The snow was deeper still in this narrow valley, and it appeared that only a single vehicle had been this way (along with the 40 or so runners ahead of me). This means the footing was every more precarious, and I had to slow to keep from falling.

When the snow finally started to dissipate, the trail was rockier than before and it was difficult to run on. Eventually I got to a runnable section, which again lasted a frustratingly short period of time. Then it was back up on the final climb -- another 1,800 feet over another 3+ miles, and then a short descent to the finish line.

I was surprised to come upon a second aid station about a mile into this climb, at about Mile 17 (it was supposed to be around Mile 12), where the volunteers were concerned about my bloody knuckles, and the runner I had seen earlier was stopped eating some food. I told the workers my hand was fine, and continued on uphill ahead of my rival. I was now FIFTH from last, with only 3.5 miles to go!

I trudged on up the hill as quickly as possible, though deep snow, then through a VERY slippery icy section where the snow was exposed to the sun and was melting. I passed two volunteers who told me there was just 1.5k to go -- less than a mile! Soon I was at the top of the final climb and only had a descent to the finish. But of course, this descent was steep and slippery, and soon my rival caught me (and very graciously asked if I was okay before proceeding ahead). 

Finally I emerged from the descent and could see the finish line across a field, only 200 yards away. There were actual people cheering us on in the middle of the field, and I started running (very carefully in my exhausted state), making my way across the field and up a short hill on pavement to the finish archway, where a very cheery DJ welcomed me to the finish. He must have been very bored, because there were probably only 7 or 8 finishers during the last hour of his shift!

Once we finished (and only then), we were awarded finisher shirts, and then could head for a refreshment table, where I had a cup of hot coffee and chatted with my rival. He said he hadn't been able to train on hills and that's why he was so slow on the climbs. I noted that there was no snow where I was from, so hadn't had any opportunity to train on that! The aid station volunteers wanted me to have more food, but I just wanted to get home, so I headed back to my car. I remembered I was supposed to get 20 euros for the race director, but of course, I had no cash in the car either, and besides, I was completely exhausted, and it was all I could do to take a picture of the waning sun from the parking lot before heading back to my hotel 8 miles down the road. 

Another photo with deceptively little snow...

I was a little disappointed in my 4th-from last finish, but in my defense, it seemed that many of the slower runners did not attempt the 35k distance. I looked up the results from the 20k, and 20+ runners had run a slower pace than me, even over that shorter distance. So maybe I'm not so slow on the snow.... Either way, it was a challenging day in some beautiful mountains, so regardless of how I did in the race, it was still a great adventure and a new and different experience. But I probably won't do a lot of running races in the snow in the future. I'll leave that to the young 'uns and stick to races with better footing. Or who knows, maybe I'll try an ice race, just for the heck of it!

Click here for my Strava record of the race.

P.S. I did check my email and I do have a receipt showing I paid for the race, so I promise I will email the race directer and let her know. Tomorrow.

P.P.S. The race director got back to me and of course there was no additional charge! So all's well that ends well!

No comments:

Post a Comment