Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Blue Ridge Relay leg analysis: Leg 19

This is the second post in my series analyzing my legs for the Blue Ridge Relay. My second leg is 19, a 4.4-miler that I'll be running at roughly 12:15 a.m. on Saturday morning. Here's the official info-sheet for the leg:


As you can see, the route is straightforward, and mostly a gentle downhill throughout. There's a net loss of 90 feet for the leg, and the only hill is a slight one in Mile 4. Since the leg is easy, my team has projected my average pace for the leg at 5:58 per mile. That's fast, even on a downhill leg. I think my only strategy is going to be to try to run even splits. No need to break them down individually -- the final uphill is near the end so hopefully adrenaline will get me through it.

As with leg 7, I'm going to need to be well-warmed-up for this leg as once again I'm going to have to get moving relatively quickly. The other trick is just forcing my body to run fast at night. Fortunately I do most of my speed work in the dark hours of the morning, so hopefully that won't be too much of a problem.

In the past I've enjoyed nighttime legs on the BRR, especially if there isn't much traffic. The description says it's a "heavily traveled" road but I'm hoping the traffic won't be quite so heavy this late at night.

I do think I'm not going to be too concerned about nailing my pace exactly. If I'm a few seconds slow I'm not going to kill myself to get back on pace; I will need to save something for the final leg, Leg 31, which is traditionally thought to be the toughest leg in the event. More on that soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment